Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.00
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £104.00
3-month PPC: £29.10
- Surgical bra: £29.50
- Abdominal or spinal support: £44.55
- Stock modacrylic wig: £72.80
- Partial human hair wig: £192.85
- Full bespoke human hair wig: £282.00
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 15 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
- There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees online NHS Prescription Costs
There are several ways in which you can order your prescription
NHS POD - Prescription Ordering Service
A convenient way to order your repeat prescription by a dedicated, experienced and fully trained call handler based at Coventry & Rugby CCG. Ring (024) 7624 6072 Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm. Orders placed each day will be authorised by the GP and sent to your usual pharmacy; this can be as soon as SAME DAY!
There remain alternatives to using the NHS POD: staff can no longer take requests over the phone
- Via the on-line facility (VOS). Register at Reception to use this service (Once registered you can also book appointments on-line)
- Via the practice email address, email@example.com
- Via your usual Pharmacy’s reordering service
Remember these requests take 48 hrs to be processed
This practice uses EPS (Electronic Prescription Service) which means your prescription can be delivered electronically to your preferred pharmacy. Please advice us of which pharmacy you wish to nominate. Remember, once this is set up, ALL prescriptions will automatically be sent to that pharmacy.
You will only be able to request a result, over the phone, on Tuesdays between 12:00noon-14:00pm when a Patient Services Navigator will be available for this purpose. Our staff will not give out results at any other time. When you ring, the phone system will clearly remind you that results will not be given over the phone at other times.
If your result needs to be communicated to you urgently WE WILL CONTACT YOU, so please make sure we have up-to-date contact details on our system.